Glossary of Terms

Annealed Glass - Non-tempered glass. The most common glass used in window products.

Anodized – An electrochemical process that increases the natural oxide coating of aluminum. Clear anodizing gives aluminum a smooth consistent surface that reduces corrosion, especially in salt air.

Applied Muntin (Simulite) - A muntin (simulate bar) in a glazed window that does not actually separate individual lights of glass.

Astragal – A member, which is attached to the secondary panel, generally the inactive panel. This member is fitted with weather-strip and strike plate which allows the active panel to lock and shut. (SPW outswing has one on each panel)

Awning – A window with the sash hinged on the sides, and swings outward in a horizontal plane.

Balance – The device in a double hung window that allows the sash to be adjusted to any position between fully open and fully closed.

Bay – A combination of three window units mulled together with the ends off set at a specific angle, such as 30 – 45 or 90 degree.

Blind Stop – A frame member used on a double hung or sliding window located between the jambs and the brickmould, to hold and conceal vinyl jamb and head liner.

Block and Tackle – A type of balance that employs a block and tackle apparatus and coil spring. This type of balance allows the sash to be easily removed from the window frame.

Bow – A combination of two or more windows mulled together with each window offset at a small angle. (Standard is 10 degree)

Brickmould – An exterior trim member applied to the side and head jamb.

Cam Lock – A lever operated lock, utilizing a cam for ease of operation, which is used to prevent intrusion through the sash. Cam locks and keepers are installed on the jambs and stiles of casements.

Casement – A window in which the sash swings outward in a vertical plane.

Caulking – A sealant used to seal construction joints. (Not all alike)

Center Of Glass – The central area of a sealed unit making up 80% of the glass surface.

Check Rail – On a double hung window, the bottom rail of the upper sash and the upper rail of the lower sash, where the lock is mounted.

Condensation – A condition caused by warm moist air coming into contact with a colder object with moisture appearing on the colder surface. A large difference in the temperature of either side of a window and humid air present on the warmer side will cause condensation to appear.

Condensation Resistance Factor – (CFR) A measure of how well a window or door resists the formation of condensation. CR is expressed as a number between 1-100. The higher the number, the better the resistances to condensation.

Corner Key – A metal or plastic device used to secure the corners of a sash, frame, spacer bar or screen section. This device is generally an “L” shaped part that fits inside mitered ends of the perimeter parts.

Cottage Double Hung – A double hung window in which the upper sash is shorter then the lower sash.

Daylight Opening – The width and height of visible glass.

Daylight Transmittance - Indicates a windows relative performance in rejection solar heat while transmitting daylight. It is a ratio of the visible transmittance to the shading coefficient.

Divided Light - A term, which refers to windows in which multiple individual panes of glass are assembled in a sash using muntins.

Double Hung - A window with movable sash which slide vertically within the frame.

Double Strength Glass - (DSB) Double strength sheet glass that is approximately 1/8” (3mm) thick. The B specifies “B quality” glass.

Dry Glaze - A method of securing glazing in a window without the use of glazing compounds.

Drip Cap - A flashing placed on top of the frame, brickmould, or casing of a window.

Dual Glaze - Two panes of glass with a single airspace, held together by a spacer system.

Edge Glued - pieces of wood glued together in order to make a wider piece of lumber.

Edge Of Glass - The glass area within 2 ½” of the edge of a window.

Egress - The space in which the operating part of the window requires clearance for fire regulations.

Emissivity - Emission, or the ability to radiate heat in the form of long-wave radiation.

Escutcheon Plate - The decorative plate on the interior and exterior side of a door panel, which covers the holes for the handle set and lock set.

Extrusion - The act of forcing a material (aluminum) through a die to form a part that has a cross section similar to the opening in the die.

Extension Jambs - An addition to the jamb member allowing the window frame to accommodate different wall thicknesses.

Exterior Glazed - Glass installed from the exterior side of the window.

Finger Joint - A means of joining individual pieces of wood together to form longer lengths.

Fixed Window - Non-venting, non-operable.

Flashing - A thin strip of metal or synthetic material that helps provide a weather barrier, preventing leakage between the frame and wall.

Frame - Consist of a head jamb, side jambs, and a sill to form an opening into which a sash or door panel fits.

French Door (swing) - Door in which the panel (panels) are hinged to the frame and swings either into or out of the home.

French Door (sliding) - Door consisting of sliding and stationary panels.

Glass - Information throughout this glossary.

Glazing Bead - Strips of profiled wood used to hold the glass in position. (Interior glazed)

Glazing Leg - A flat surface in frame or sash member, parallel with the glass, to which the glass is affixed.

Glazing Tape - A tape with adhesive on both sides used to glaze glass to the glazing leg of a sash or frame.

Grille - A removable muntin pattern, applied to the inside of window unit.

Handing - A term describing the way a sliding patio door, or horizontal silder opens (OX, OXO, XO OXXO) or which side of a swing door the hinges are located (LH, RH)

Heat Gain - Heat entering a structure

Heat Loss - Heat escaping a structure

Heat Strengthened Glass - This glass is produced in much the same way as tempered glass, but with lower levels of compression. The final product is two times stronger then annealed glass.

Hinges - Hardware used to attach a door panel, or sash to a frame and which permits it to swing.

Horizontal Slider - Window usually consist of two sashes, one stationary and one operable sliding in the frame horizontally.

Insulated Glass - (IG) A combination of two panes of glass with sealed air space between panes.

Interlock - A design feature of our sliding patio door that provides a hooking action, attached to opposing interlocking stiles. This action reduces air infiltration and increases security to the unit.

Interior Glazing - Glass installed from the interior of the window.

Internal Muntins - (GBG) Muntin bars located within the insulated glass units.

Jamb - The side components of a window or door frame.

Jamb Liner - The vinyl vertical tracks in which double hung sash slide up and down. The vinyl jamb liner houses the balance system, and pivot carrier assembly.

KD - Window components ship in a non-assembled manor. Knock-down.

Keeper - A catch or part of a lock that receives the cam to lock the window.

Laminated Glass - A type of safety glass comprised of two pieces of glass with a clear vinyl interlay. Laminated help in sound attenuation (STC). When broken, laminated glass will generally not leave the opening.

Light Pattern - An arrangement of muntin bars in a window.

Lock - A devise on a window or door that secures it in the closed position.

Lock rail - A horizontal mid rail in a door panel.

Low-E Glass - Low emissivity glass, is a glass with a transparent metallic coating on the glass. Typically applied to surface #2, to help restrict the passage of radiant heat.

Masonry Opening - The opening in a masonry wall to accept a window or door unit, the same as a rough opening in a frame wall.

Mortise - A slot or rectangular cavity cut into a piece of wood to receive another part.

Mortise & Tenon Joint - A strong wood joint made by fitting together a mortise in one board and a matching projection member (tenon) in the other.

Mull - The act of attaching two or more windows or doors together. This union is then finished with exterior and interior mull caps.

Multi-Point Lock - A locking mechanism, which secures a door panel at two or more points.

Muntin (simulate) - Profiled parts that are applied to the interior and exterior of the glass to give the appearance of divided light. (Available in 7/8” 1 5/16” 2” width)

Nail Fin - An integral part of the frame extrusion, which allows the unit to be secured in a structure by screwing through it and into the framing of the structure.

Obscure Glass - A type of glass with one surface roughened in such a way to reduce visibility but yet allow light to enter.

Operator - A metal gear, which allows for easy operation or closing of projecting windows.

OX - OXO – OXXO – The designation for a two- three – four panel sliding door. (Exterior view) X = operating panel, O = fixed panel.

Painted Finish - After the aluminum is extruded, the metal is wet painted in a spray application; the paint will meet or exceed AAMA 2604 specification requirements.

Panel - Refers to the separate panel or panels in a door frame.

Parting Stops - A strip of vinyl weather strip, which prevents air and water infiltration. Parting stops are found at the head jamb and side jambs of patio sliding doors.

Patio Sliding Door - A door consisting of sliding and stationary panels, and side jambs of horizontal sliding windows.

Picture Window - A non-operation window consisting of frame and glass, with or without sash.

Prime - The first coat of paint in an application that consists of two or more coats also refers to the paint used for an initial coat. (Prime coat)

R-Factor - A measure of a products energy efficiency. The higher the R-Value, the better the insulation effect.

Rails - The horizontal members of a sash or door panel.

Reflective Glass - A type of glass with a mirror-like surface that reduces the transmittance of sunlight through a window.

Relative Humidity - Humidity expressed as a percentage of the maximum possible humidity at a given temperature.

Rollers - Wheels that attach to the bottom of a sash or door panel that allows it to slide easily.

Roto Gear - A term used to describe the steel drive worm and gear and crank device used for opening awning and casement windows.

Rough Opening - The space in the wall of a structure into which a window or door is to be installed. The space is ¾” over in height and width the net frame size of the unit to be installed.

Safety Glass - A type of glass designed to prevent injury if it is broken. (Laminated or tempered glass)

Sash - The inner frame, which holds glass in operable and fixed window units.

Sash balance - A system of coiled springs, which assist in raising a double hung sash and tend to keep the sash in any placed position by counterbalancing the weight of the sash.

Sash Lock - Generally, a cam-action type lock applied to the check rails of a sliding, or doubles hung window or at the edges of a projecting window to pull the check rails tightly together.

Sash Pivot Pin - A steel pin attached to the top and bottom sash stiles of double hung units. Pivots rest on the carrier system of the spring balance assembly, which allow opening and closing of the sash.

Screen - A product used with a window or door, consisting of a four-sided frame surrounding a fiberglass mesh material used to keep out insects.

Seat Board - Generally used on bay windows, creating a sitting area.

Shading Coefficient - The measure of how well glazing block solar heat gain relative to 1/8” clear glass under the some conditions.

Sidelites - A fixed light rectangular shaped window or door, placed next to an operation door unit.

Simulated Divided Lites - Profiled parts that are applied to the interior and exterior of the glass to give the appearance of divided light. (Available in 7/8” 1 5/16” 2” width)

Single Glaze - Glazing with a single piece of glass. (Non-insulated)

Slider - A window usually consisting of two sash, one stationary and one operable. The operable sash slides horizontally within the frame.

Snubber - A small piece of hardware used in pairs, one each attached to the pivot side of a casement window sash and frame, to assist with pulling and holding the sash tightly to the frame.

Solar Heat Gain Coefficient - Solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) measures how well a product blocks heat caused by sunlight. The SHGC is the fraction of incident solar radiation admitted through a window, both directly transmitted and absorbed and subsequently released inward. SHCG is expressed as a number between 0 and 1. The lower a window’s solar heat gain coefficient, the less solar heat it transmits.

Solar Transmittance - The amount of solar energy that passes through a glazing material, expressed as a percentage.

Sound Transmission Class (STC) - Sound transmission class (STC) is a method of rating that provides a single value to represent sound transmission loss.

Spacer Bar - Super Spacer from Edgetech. Super Spacer is an extruded, thermoset polymer structural silicone foam tape with integrally incorporated desiccants.

Stile - The vertical side member of a window sash or door panel.

Strike Plate - The metal plate that’s secured to the frame side jamb or astragal and accepts the lock strike from the door lock.

Tempered Glass - Glass that has become heat treated to become more than three times stronger then annealed glass. Tempered brakes into small pebbles rather then jagged shards.

Thermal Break - an air space or insulating material which prevents the direct coupling of a cold surface to a heated surface.

Tinted Glass - Glass other then clear. Typically tinted glass absorbs and blocks heat, and reduces visible light transmittance.

Transom - A window installed above another window or door.

True Divided Light - A term, which refers to windows in which multiple individual panes of glass are assembled in a sash using muntins.

U-Factor - U-factor measures how well a product prevents heat from escaping. The rate of heat loss is indicated in terms of the U-factor (U-value) of a window assembly. The lower the U-factor, the greater a window’s resistance to heat flow and the better its insulating value.

Unison Lock - (Tandem Sash Lock) A casement locking system which secures the window at two or more points by the operation of one handle.

Vent Area - In a fully opened window or door, the area of the opening that will allow passage of air in and out.

Visible Light Transmittance - Visible transmittance (Vt) measures how much light comes through a product. The visible transmittance is an optical property that indicates the amount of visible light transmitted. Vt is expressed as a %. The higher the Vt, the more light is transmitted.

Warm Edge Spacers - Insulated spacers used to seal panes of glass. Edge conductivity is lessened for improved window energy performance and reduced condensation problems.

Weatherstrip - Thin sections of material used to prevent air and water leakage around operable windows and doors.

Weep Hole - An opening at the sill of a door, or horizontal slider allowing moisture to drain free.

Wind Load - The amount of pressure exerted by the wind on a window or door generally expressed in pounds per square foot.

Back to Top